10.03.2007

more tuesdays with sam and drew

Today was our fourth gathering of the cousins, this time at the Hogle Zoo. It's been a long time since I've been to the zoo, it was my older kids' Kindergarten field trip and Spencer is now in the 5th grade. I remember thinking at the time that we must have the world's most awful zoo, the animals looked like they were slowly and painfully dying in their lame surroundings. I always felt so bad for the zoo animals. I have to say that I am happy about all of the changes they have made, the elephants especially seem much happier and the Asian cat section was so awesome, the lion was always the animal that made me feel the worst, so that is very good news. It also looks like they aren't anywhere near done with the renovations, even more good news. We may not have the lamest zoo any more after they're done with everything.
Ethan was in heaven with the monkeys, he loved being able to go right up to the glass to "touch" them. You can't tell from this picture because of the reflection of the glass, but there is a small monkey just on the other side of Ethan's hands and he is squealing with laughter because he thinks the monkey is just so funny. I tried to turn the flash off but then the pictures just got blurry, I've said before that this blog is to help me let go of the feeling that every picture I take has to be portait perfect, some pictures are just bad but worth posting because they still tell the story. There, I said it. We also found a few other "monkeys" hanging around the monkey cage! Anyway, the elephant display has this huge elephant outside that the boys sat on for picture but the sun shone only on the spot where the boys were sitting on his trunk, making for lame photographs of over exposed faces and squinty eyes. A few minutes later the elephant played a little song and blew water out of his trunk and let's just say that it was a good thing that Ethan was already wearing a diaper because he was so startled, I'm sure he lost bladder control for a moment! Ethan and I stayed for a few more minutes to play at the cool little park after everyone else had to go. He loved this super-steep slide and wanted to go down it over and over and over, even after he flew down it and landed on his back in the bark. No biggie, just brush yourself off and get back on the horse, or slide, which ever the case may be. He also loved this croc but only after I sat on it with him for a few minutes, he was nervous and kept pointing at his teeth, smart boy. I am loving being able to hang with the sister-in-laws for a little while once a week and see how everyone is doing. It's so nice to connect and especially for Ethan to have some interaction with the other little kids. Drew always gets so excited and says to him, "hi Efin"! I love it!

No comments: