10.09.2007

did the dinosaurs have electricity?

Today I was driving Spencer to piano and he said, "I hate piano". This is a conversation we end up having every other month or so, so I am always armed and ready with the, "be grateful" speech. You may think I am a mean mom for making Spencer do piano even though he hates it, but the truth is, he doesn't hate it, he just hates practicing, once he masters a song, he plays it non-stop until everyone in the house cries. This is his third year of piano and right before he started taking lessons we went to a Jon Schmidt concert, if you've never been, you have to try it sometime. He does all sorts of crazy acrobatics like back flips off the piano bench, playing songs with his toes, etc. not your grandma's piano concert for sure. During the concert he played a song upside down and backwards while lying on the piano bench and Spencer thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. On the FIRST DAY of piano lessons, Spencer came home and mastered "Old McDonald had a song" the right way, then, laid down on the piano bench and taught himself how to play it upside down and backwards just like Jon! His piano teacher Emily is great to foster Spencer's creative expression and so at his first piano recital (unbeknownst to me) he played his song once the right way and then again upside down and backwards, infact, notice that Jon's hands are crossed and Spencer's aren't! He actually plays it with the hand parts swapped! It was the highlight of his life, he thought he was the bee's knees I'm telling ya. I'll admit, it was pretty cool and I thought he was the bees knees too. I was impressed then and have continued to be, he really does have a wonderful ability to feel the music, he hardly ever practices with the metronome because he doesn't like the beat being dictated to him, but to be honest, he doesn't really need it so says Emily. Ok, so now you know why I make him take piano, because he really does love it and he's too good this early to let him quit NOT because I'm the meanest mom ever. Now we'll rewind back to in the car on our way to piano, sorry this blog is really two stories in one. So he says, "I hate piano" and I say, "you don't hate piano, you just hate practicing piano and you hate leaving your friends to go to piano". Then I proceed to tell him that when I was a little girl we couldn't really afford piano lessons or any of the other cool stuff that he gets to do so he needs to remember that he is lucky to be able to learn and try different things. (I'm such a mother!) It seemed to work, he's lost in thought for a minute, certainly thinking about the joy he feels playing a song he knows and says to me, "yea mom you're right" (the words every mother longs to hear). So then after a minute of some more deep thinking he says, "I am really lucky for another thing too, when you were growing up there wasn't very much electricity." WHAAAAAAAAAAT!? I was so stunned that I couldn't even laugh or speak, how old to my kids think I am!? I remember feeling like my parents were dinosaurs, but me? I'm so young! Don't they know that my life growing up wasn't all that different than theirs!? Don't they know that I CAN relate to what they're experiencing!? All I could say was "wow" softly under my breath, and it was a good thing that at that moment we pulled up in front of Emily's house and it was time for Spencer to exit the car. My parents I'm sure are happy that karma has finally come back to bite me in the behind. Infact, I think this is them getting a good laugh out of it now...

No comments: