8.04.2008
pioneer day
i'm finally back! i have had some major blogger issues this past week but everything seems to be ok now, cross your fingers and knock on wood, so hopefully i'll be doing some catch up this week. starting with...the parade! (ya, i'm really behind). kristy and i's late night adventures saving seats paid off, we had a great time at the pioneer parade, a tradition that we love. (ethan loves it too except for the fire engines which are a little too loud at close proximity).
it was fun to have wayne and eileen home from their mission this year to attend with us, it's one of eileen's favorite things. (check out the darling bonnett she made for natalie!)
of course we had lots of family there and cousins, plus friends, make everything more fun.
my favorite parts of the parade were...the marching bands, there were a ton of them this year and i love the way they totally liven things up.
the motorcycles that do tricks, i'm always stressed that they're going to run into someone but every year it turns out well so i've started to enjoy them.
the missionaries marching, really i took this photo for patsy because she missed the parade this year, i knew she would like to see these guys. when they passed by everyone clapped and cheered, they blushed a little, it was great.
i also love the flag at the beginning which i didn't get photos of because i was trying to stand be respectful. every year except this one, they have local military march and i always cry, it's so moving to see everyone cheer and go crazy with appreciation for them. my favorite part of the parade this year ended up being something a little unexpected and caught me off guard. there was a ward or stake that dressed up like pioneers and had covered wagons and were carrying signs with photos and name of real pioneers that crossed the plains.
i got so choked up, it was so moving and in an instant i just felt so appreciative of their sacrifices and moved by their faith. great idea! the other best part of pioneer day are the local fireworks. we used to sit out on a blanket on a lawn near the fireworks and that was ok, but for the last few years i've saved us a spot on the grass where they actually light the fireworks off. the crowd is insane but it has been so worth it.
there's absolutely nothing more spectacular than fireworks up close! the display this year was so fantastic! the finale was incredible, it just kept going and going.
one of my favorite photos of the night doesn't include everyone from our party but it turned out so cute i had to post it.
happy pioneer day everyone! we love utah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hey lady...glad to see you're back up and running....I'm still up and saw the new post...I agree we love Utah too... and all that comes with the 24th celebration.
I would LOVE to come & visit during this special event. Pioneer day sounds like so much fun. I got choked up just reading about the ward that dressed as pioneers holding the pics.
what a fun day!
I love blogging-
I also love the marching bands- those missionaries are funny... I bet they'll go home to where ever they are from & have some great UTah stories!
I loved this parade. I had never been and it is truly and great parade. The fireworks were awesome too. I love that last picture...way cute:)
What a fun parade!!!! Our seats were great! We will have to get the same seat for next year.
It looks like a blast! I love the cute pic of Rich covering E's ears--firetruck?
Can you believe I have never been to a parade like that? The missionaries walking and getting embarrassed are too cute. Nothing beats fireworks in my book. I'm kind of sad we were out of town for Pioneer Day!
Post a Comment