8.07.2008

clean hands make me happy

last night while the blogger moms were at bath and body works - yes we were there again this week, kristy pointed out the sales ladies' shirts with the new sales pitch for B&BW antibacterial line: spread love, not germs. we all had a good laugh because this could've been my sales pitch. i was so disappointed when the sales girl told me that the t-shirts weren't available to buy, but was a good sport about letting me take photos of hers. those who know me well, know that i am a germ-o-phobe, especially public restrooms - although it doesn't end there. it's nothing that a few years of therapy wouldn't cure of course, but sometimes it's inconvenient at least. it's definitely gotten better, i mean i've gotten better, it's not as difficult for me to enter a public restroom as it used to be. but every so often the anxiety builds up and it's all i can do to avoid a full-blown panic attack. i know it's kind of funny, i mean, it is, in a ridiculous sort of way - i mean i'm afraid of invsibile germs of all the stupid things - and when i'm not in the panic moment i can laugh about it, but when i am in the moment, there's nothing funny about it.
i could write an essay about this, where it all started, how it's worse when my stress level goes up, my ocd-like routine for entering and exiting a public restroom, how in my worst moment i was tempted to actually drink the hand sanitizer, but my readers might think i'm crazy, i mean, crazi-er and so i'll stop here. besides, my skin is getting all prickly thinking about it too much. the point is, i know that bath and body works is just trying to sell more hand-sanitizer, but i'm glad that it's also sending out a clever reminder that it's good for everyone (especially the germ-o-phobes) to have clean hands. clean hands make me happy, and spread love, not germs, really is my new motto. and ps, if anyone knows anyone would works at B&BW who could be bribed out of their work t-shirt, let me know.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

My goal is to find one of these shirts for you!!! It is so YOU!!! Last night was a lot of fun!

Liz said...

After I lost Dayna and was pregnant with Chloe, I was informed that my immune system was measuring very low and that I would need to be re-vaccinated immediately after I delivered the baby. I was warned to avoid small children being vaccinated because while they were checking off their MMR Shots, I could be exposing my fetus to the German measles... I turned into the craziest germ-a-phoebe! I was in the primary presidency and insisted on being released, I avoided many of my nieces and nephews, I hated going to the grocery store… The worst moment was when I was sitting in the back row of the chapel waiting for the sacrament to be passed. I had planned it all out so that I would be the first person to select my bread and water, but NOOOO. They changed things around on me and I was one of the last! All of those little brats had touched every piece of bread, trying to choose the one without crust or the largest piece! I was so close to hyperventilating and was seriously loosing it. I could not have chosen a piece of bread if my life depended on it, let alone my poor baby! Instead of just not taking the sacrament and passing the tray - that Sunday afternoon I almost knocked the poor deacon over trying to get out of the chapel! Yes, I understand all too well about spreading the love and not the germs! I hope that you find the shirt!

Karrie said...

I think it's worth getting a job there Wende just for the shirt.

I had a blast to it was so fun to talk with everyone

michelle said...

That shirt is adorable! I got a mailer from them with that slogan and I kept it as well. Awesome.

Stacie said...

I love the spread love, not germs idea!! I have sanitizer everywhere--in the bathrooms, kitchen, car, diaper bag...

I love Bath and Body Works! Their scents are so yummy!! :)

Janae said...

I was so busy looking at lipgloss... i didn't realize you were getting a picture of this!! I love it! It is the PERFECT slogan. They are gonna sell a ton of hand sanitizer:)