ok, so right up front, i'm going to warn you that this post is rather long. i'm sorry about that, i usually try really hard to condense as much as possible, mostly so anyone who reads my blog doesn't unexpectedly nod off to sleep. however, there were so many great details about this event that i don't want to forget, that i gave myself permission to include them all, even if it means having a lengthy post. at least it's kind of funny. i hope.
last friday at 6am, i took my groggy, sleepy self downstairs to rouse the troops and get the morning going. but instead i ran into spencer who was pacing the floor with an anxious expression. i had to rub my eyes because i couldn't believe that not only was he awake, but he was wearing a shirt and tie, had already made his lunch, eaten breakfast and brushed his teeth. what the? then my sleepy brain caught up with my eyes and i recalled the day's agenda - today was the day for the highly anticipated SIXTH GRADE DANCE! he must have seen the smirk on my face because he blurted out, "i couldn't sleep all night! i'm so excited (meaning nervous) about the dance". ok seriously, are we talking about my son here?
let's back up. spencer's elementary school has some fantastic sixth grade teachers. they teach the students a whole bunch of dances over several months in preparation for the big day. the kids had to partner up with several different girls during the practice sessions and learned to swing, and two-step, as well as a bunch of line dances like the hustle, the electric slide, and spencer's favorite, men in black.
luckily, i was signed up to help with the dance, so after getting my nervous nelly, i mean spencer, out the door with some assurances from mom that he would be fine, i got myself ready to go. i say "luckily", because the spencer i found in the elaborately decorated school gym that day, was not the spencer who normally lives at my house. i was stunned to see a whole other side to my son i had no idea existed. the truth be told, i didn't even know they had been practicing these dances, spencer had never mentioned it to me.
i'm not sure what he was nervous about exactly, because other than moving a little faster than the beat of the music, spencer is a total natural. when it was time for a "partner" dance, all the kids looked at their dance cards - yes dance cards, found their partners and danced like it was no big deal to be holding hands with someone of the opposite sex. i think this is HUGE, what an awesome thing the teachers have done for these kids, they took the fear out not looking cool by requiring them to dance.
with the dance cards and line dances in between there were no wall-flowers, no one was left out, everyone was having fun. especially spencer...
basically all day long i was wishing that i had brought a video camera or at least a stronger flash. it was so much darker in the gym than i would've guessed. i only live a minute or so away from the school but i was having so much fun watching spencer the grump's alter ego, disco spencer, that i didn't dare leave the school for fear of missing something. there were several things that i enjoyed about this day, but watching him do the men in black line dance will definitely be a memory i will treasure.
(baby just walk with me, just walk with me)
(baby just slide, and slide)
a few other random things i don't want to forget about this day:
*during the first refreshment break of the dance, spencer suggested that the teachers let the ladies go first. it was maybe my proudest mom moment EVER hearing all the moms and girls go, "aaawwwwww". of course all the boys groaned. again, who is this kid?
*a mom asking me, "oh you're spencer's mom?" and me nervously replying, "yes". then she proceded to tell me about how her daughter was so happy to find that spencer was listed on her dance card (the teacher's put their lists together) because spencer is such a good dancer. and it's way more fun to dance with spencer than the other boys because they pretend to hate it.
*spencer adding his own little "saturday night fever" disco flair to the boot scoot boogie.
*i overheard one girl talking to another little girl when she said, "be ready when you have to dance with spencer, his mom takes like a thousand pictures for just one song". 
*giggling like crazy with kathi at all the boys, and even a few girls, who had absolutely NO rhythm. those kids were highly entertaining to the moms, hopefully they didn't notice our giggling.
not to worry though, spencer's fun-loving, easy-going alter ego stuck around until he got home from school and learned that he had a few chores to do before he could make weekend plans. in that instant, my son, spencer the grump, returned and disco spencer went back into hiding. but i did download, "men in black" from itunes to try and coax him out from time to time.
13 comments:
I love this!!! It is so much fun to watch them grow up. Russell has a similar alter ego. Sometimes we call him Mr. Happy at home because he never is, but put him in a social situation and watch the transformation. It this a boy thing perhaps????
Wende- this was a great post! Fantastic pictures.. I could SEE the dancing & YES he can DAnce!! What girl doesn't LOVE a guy that can dance?
I am so so glad you got to go to this! priceless!
I wonder if jack has an alter ego?
Spencer has the moves!!! I wish I had a daughter his age. You better watch out I think Spencer is a lady's man!
hahaha this is such a cute post! You got some GREAT pictures of Spencer dancing. He really has some moves! You can especially tell when you look at the other kids in the background! You must be so proud that your kid has confidence AND manners (very impressed with his suggestion for the girls to go first).
I totally remember being so excited for my own sixth grade dance, with dance cards and all! Tell Spencer to keep up those dancing skills. Chicks really do dig a guy who can dance!
i'm still laughing. i think that spence might have to show us his "moves" on sunday. and i'm sure that ethan and ashton might join in. too funny...6th grade, dances, almost to jr. high...oh the memories!
what cool thing for them and what a gift they are getting by learning all those dances and especially during that most awkward time of growing up!! Good for him and so funny about the girl warning the other about the photo mom alert!! Love it and loved the post!!
What a great post! I love all the photos and love that you got action shots of the dancing going on! I love that the teachers actually teach the kids how to dance and interact with each other. That is huge! What a great experience. So glad Spencer is such a natural. It looks like he had a great time:)
Wende, this is an awesome post! What fun kids you have :) It makes me excited for when mine are older.
Very funny! It sounds like everyone had a great time! That's hilarious about the girls warning about you and your camera. too funny.
I love this post!--and You!--
Those teachers are brilliant!--that is such a fantastic idea to make up the dance card lists and to teach the kids different dances!
How lucky you are!
It was great to see Spencer's "moves"!-- :) I'm always impressed when I see someone who posesses any sort of ryhthm whatsoever!--(As I have zero!)
Thanks for all of your cute comments on my blog...I would have commented sooner, but when I went to your profile, it didn't list this blog...it was only your cooking one and your kids blogs...
I clicked over from a comment you left on Jill's--
I've got you on my sidebar, now! :)
Thought I would let you know that I finally did another post on my blog. I'm sure you've given up on me. haha! It's not the DisneyWorld one, I'm still working on that one, but I posted a quick one for the time being. Love ya!
Wende,
Spencer is awesome! It sure makes me miss Reading Ele. The dance was one of my favorite memories of Olivia. We miss you guys and can't wait to see you this summer!
Post a Comment