12.20.2007

twelve christmas things about me

I was tagged by Janae to think of twelve Christmas related things about me. We'll see, I could barely think of five regular things when Lisa tagged me last month! Here goes...

1. I don't really care for blue Christmas lights. Actually, what I should say is that I really like white, red and green lights, especially white. The tree always has ONLY white lights, just so classic looking I think. (I looked for a picture of our tree from years past to post with this but apparently I haven't taken one of just our tree! Maybe they're just film, I'll have to remember that this year!)
2. My favorite treat to receive from neighbors is homemade caramels because I have tried to make them and I stink at it and so this is the only way I get to eat them, they are my favorite!

3. I love that Christmas time is a good reason to drink hot chocolate and other ridiculously fattening foods non-stop without any guilt whatsoever.
I love hot chocolate and all the neighbor treats and everything else yummy about Christmas.

4. I used to make homemade cards every year, but this year I changed to homemade in Photoshop!
So quick and simple, not to mention a little softer on my budget.

5. I am 100% completely AGAINST have ridiculous amounts of toys and money spent on Christmas gifts. We are low-key Christmas around here, Santa brings board games and books and candy. Mom and dad give three presents, because if three presents was good enough for the Christ child then three presents it is.

6. I love living in Utah because we almost always have a white Christmas, it's just not the same without it. Of course, we often have a white Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Valentine's Day, but you know, it's worth it.

7. Every year on Christmas Eve we open new pajamas, but every year I tell the kids that maybe I've changed my mind this year and it's now Top Ramen, you never know. But of course they know. I do new pjs for more than one reason: 1.nice pictures on christmas morning (especially when they were smaller and I could get away with matching sets), 2. they have new pjs that count as part of the Christmas not clothing budget, and 3. I love that they have something to open on Christmas Eve, a tradition. Love traditions.

8. I stick all of our Christmas cards to the back of our front door so I can see them all the time. This was an SPT earlier this month that I missed, so now you know. This is our door as of yesterday, by the end of the month it will be totally full, I LOVE that! I love getting Christmas cards, especially the pictures! I'm always shocked at how much people have changed in one year!

9. I love gift giving, seriously, it's way better than receiving (except the year Rich bought my Nikon for me, that was some pretty nice receiving). I love thinking of the thing that they would never think of themselves but you know they will love. I also love giving my favorite things, like Oprah, it's the best way to give gifts because you don't have to stress about whether or not they'll like it, you love it and want to share it. I have also gotten some great "favorite things" when Rich's family started exchanging gifts with this theme. Some of my favorites from my sister-in-laws have been Pride and Prejudice on DVD (the Collin Firth version of course) and last year I got 800 thread count sheets! Ooooooo, they really are my new favorite thing!
10. FOOD! Ham and potatoes are totally required for like three meals in a row and I love breakfast casserole on Christmas morning. I will post about it later next week after I've made it. Then of course, there's special Oreo's, dipped in white fudge, peppermint bark, pecan logs from the neighbors, c'mon! They're killin' me! How do you say no to these kinds of things?

11. FM100, my Christmas music station! Oh man, I love hearing everything Christmas all day long! It's so great, I love Christmas music and I love to sing along. The worst church calling I ever had was ward choir director, I was a wreck during our Christmas program, but man I loved being able to choose the songs, ones you love but are not totally familiar. I got tons of compliments, but I'm sure everyone was just being nice because they could tell I was ready to cry! I love Christmas music! Except, I really hate Manheim Steamroller, sorry, I know they're popular but they drive me NUTS! Just a bunch of synthesizer noise that kills the spirit for me.

12. Ok, of course, my favorite part of Christmas has to be the birth of the Savior. I never get tired of the story of Joseph and Mary and thinking of what it would be like to ride a donkey nine months pregnant! And how hard it must have been to deliver in such filthiness, with animals, I don't even like dogs! But even more, to think of the reverence of it all, it's hard to put that into words. My favorite song is O Holy Night because I love the lines "the weary world rejoices", and "the soul felt it's worth" because they are so personal to me and a wonderful testimony of what we would be without Him. That's why Christmas feels so good, right?

I can't believe I thought of twelve things! That was really fun to have to think about Christmas and what I love about it. Thanks Janae! I'm tagging Kristy, Lisa Allen and April. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

patsy said...

BEAUTIFUL LIST. I love all the pictures- it made it so easy to read.