11.01.2009

the big trade in


happy big guy birthday to little E.

we've been talking about this big guy birthday for months now - mainly me trying to explain that his birthday is after taylors,dads, moms, allie's and halloween. and him telling me what kind of toys he wants as presents. also, that four year olds don't have binkies, and that on his birthday he would need to throw them in the garbage in exchange for his gifts. sort of like a toddler version of the "cash for clunkers"  ya, i know, we are the meanest parents ever.

except, he did fine. took the whole bowl of binks out to the garbage can and pitched them in one at a time.

(i can't believe i'm posting a photo of my disgusting garabage can.)
he was excited actually, he even did that funny little dance he does when he sends the cars down the little garage track. he got to the last one, gave it one last suck for old times' sake...

...and then pitched that one too.
i was most worried about bed time, but i just got him tucked in, and other than that it took a little longer to settle him down, so far so good. thank goodness we still have blanket - blankets don't affect your orthodontia bill.
but i think he thought it was worth the trade in-

for the woody and rc car from toy story that he's been asking me for since he saw it at the disney store in JUNE! he's nothing if he isn't persistant. at least he knows what he wants eh?

love this little guy.
happy birthday little e. you've made the last four years a lot of fun for our whole family.

i love you.

8 comments:

Kristy said...

Happy Birthday E!!!! Good job on getting rid of your binkies! I hope you are nice to your Mom and go to bed really easy this whole week!

She Loves To Make said...

Happy birthday! I'm so impressed he threw away all his binkies! Love that last picture of you two.

Lisa Allen said...

How cute is he?! Such a happy little guy. I can't believe he and Chelsea are already 4! It seems like only yesterday that we were both pregnant at the same time, right?

And I LOVE the binky switch, I am so stealing that idea for Siena :)

patsy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY E!!
Man I love this kid!

He is so cute & sweet- wow how did he get to be four so fast??

binky swap= brilliant!!!
I hope it goes well all week, somehow I think it will! great thinkin mom

Jenny Moore said...

O.k. I got a little teary when I saw Ethan give the last binky suck. What a sweetie. I can't believe how fast 4 years can go!

Karrie said...

Way to be strong Wende...I hope all goes well with the bedtime routine...but you're right 4 is too old for binkies...I can't believe this kid is a 4 year old...what next?

Driving?

jakenapril said...

dang! he's a smart kid...binkies for toys! that's a deal if i ever heard of one. happy happy birthday to the big little e from all of us! 4, seriously? the time has flown.

Stacie said...

Love the binkies in the garbage idea! I might have to try that! ALL my kids have been HUGE binkie kids and it was always a chore to try to get them to stop!

Thanks for the fun mail! I needed the little pick-me-up! Love you girl! :)