10.07.2008

too good to last

all good things must come to an end, rich's vacation is no exception. he still has a few weeks left of comp time to take but we're going to wait until the holidays so he can be home when the kids are home from school. i'm so excited for how long their christmas break is this year! ethan was not happy about letting him go, when i told him to, "say bye to papa, he has to go to work", i got a broken up little voice saying, "bye papa", it was the saddest dang thing you ever heard. then he watched him pull out of the drive way from our big living room window with these puppy eyes - poor kid, first the kids go back to school and now dad goes back to work. we have all enjoyed having rich home this past two weeks. we didn't really do a ton, we spent several days in our pjs watching movies and playing play dough with ethan. i did talk him into a few little trips out of the house though, like grocery shopping, the children's tree house museum in ogden - we love that place... and to gardner village for tuesday play date with the cousins......and i started cooking dinners again, it was nice to sit down as a whole family to the table.

besides being ethan's playmate and my sanity base, it was really bad timing for rich to head back to work. a few minutes after he left i noticed a giant puddle of water on the kitchen floor and big "bubbles" of water all down one of the walls! crap! long story short, phil ripped out my kitchen cabinets and dug a big hole in the ceiling to find a persistant leak in the copper pipes above. the ceiling is ruined and perhaps a wall or two but everything else should dry-out. phil to the rescue...again. i guess this is good news, but really i thought maybe it was my chance for a new kitchen, oh well. i knew there was a reason i had procrastinated painting the cabinets...

11 comments:

Karrie said...

Holy Crap! I hate persistent water leaks...where do they come from how long have they been dripping do we have mold....There's never a good answer.Good thing you didn't paint the cabinets!

Ethan's picture is soo sad...I think he needs a dog...has Rich given in yet?

patsy said...

A dog? no wende, be strong...

I can't believe this mess! Thank heavens for Phil!! Ethan needs to play at my house sometime. I'm glad you guys caught this leak before it got even worse.

(trent is freaking out over this picture- should I send him over to fix it!?)

patsy said...

A dog? no wende, be strong...

I can't believe this mess! Thank heavens for Phil!! Ethan needs to play at my house sometime. I'm glad you guys caught this leak before it got even worse.

(trent is freaking out over this picture- should I send him over to fix it!?)

patsy said...

Now trent is worried about a leak at school... specifically in Mrs. Evan's class. He says there's a bubble in the ceiling... I think you've started something ;)

Kristy said...

Nasty......I HATE leaks!!! What a mess I guess it is now time to work on your cabinets....:)!

Poor Ethan...we will have to pay some attention to him tomorrow.

jakenapril said...

looks like you made some great memories while rich was "resting." although, isn't that always how it goes...just when you're done having fun the problems begin...but it's a good thing you caught the leak when you did. tgiphil! :o) can't wait for the new cabinets! ha ha ha. and i'm with patsy...no dog.

Janae said...

Poor Ethan...but, really cute picture! Nicolette and Ethan will have to have more play dates:)

Oh my that mess! I am so sorry...I am glad it can be fixed though, and that you didn't start the cabinets yet:)

Lisa Allen said...

That first picture of Ethan just kills me! What a sweet face.

Jenny Moore said...

It is amazing how much damage WATER can do. Seriously. Good thing you are so good at puttying, taping, sanding and painting!

Poor Ethan. I think he may need to spend some time with Aunt Jenny.

michelle said...

Yep, good thing you didn't paint your cabinets yet! Yowza.

So sad about little Ethan's broken "bye, papa". sniff.

Stacie said...

Looks like you guys had some great times together while Rich had his time off!! Ethan will remember those a long time!!

Too bad about your kitchen! I hate it when things like that happen!! You are lucky you have Phil to fix them up!! :)