7.07.2008

fishy fieldtrip

this last week home from camp i have tried to spend a ton of time with the kids. if it sounds like i'm feeling baddly about missing the first one third of their summer planning camp and other activities, you're right. tuesday apey and i took our kids, plus natalie who's mom is at girl's camp this week, to the aquarium for some fishy fun. i was SHOCKED at how small the building was, i guess it's a "preview" exhibit for the good things yet to come. at first ethan was into this big "bruce" from finding nemo, but then he kept looking up at it all nervous like, i'm thinking it was just a little too life-like for comfort. the kids loved the sting rays, everyone but ethan anyway, and i was surprised at how people friendly they are. i'll be honest and say that every time my kids stuck their arms in the water i was thinking about steve erwin! ethan and ashton loved the fish aquariums that were sort of built into the floor, they could see everything right up close on their level which was great. ethan kept saying, "whoa nenny", translation: "whoa nelly", which rich says all the time. my personal favorite were these super cool jelly-fish that i wanted to bounce on like dory. the octopus, on the other hand, kind of grossed me out, ok really grossed me out. what would you do if you ran into one of these in the ocean? now you know why i don't scuby dive! yikes! by the end of the day, the kids were all feeling a little fishy, especially taylor and spencer who couldn't find enough reasons to make these faces.

6 comments:

Karrie said...

Sound like a fun trip and good for you having all the kids go...I can't ever get Micah or Mariah to do anything with us...even free dinner

patsy said...

I have been wanting to go there for years! do you recommend it? it looks like a lot of fun. those octopus gross me out too.

Kristy said...

I need to go and use my free passes one of these days. I am not too thrilled to go but hopefully the boys will like it. I will have to drag Patsy with me!

Janae said...

I have wanted to go here also. I repeat Patsy's question of do you recommend it? It looks fun and I love the fishy face pictures:)

Jenny Moore said...

Octopus gross you out? Really? Really? I love that squishy stuff! We went down there once and I was surprised how small it was and how expensive! Also, they had some trout and bass there. Wewww. Exotic! It is pretty cool to see the stingrays and the seahorses and sharks. We want to come on the next fieldtrip!

Stacie said...

I have always wondered about the aquarium! It looks like a lot of fun! I have to tell you, I actually swam, yes, swam with stingrays in Grand Cayman! It is called Stingray City and you literally swim with the stingrays! I guess I might think twice about it now with the whole Steve Irwin thing but it sure was fun when I did it!!