there's something about thanksgiving that kicks off the start of the holiday season and it seems like over night organge and brown are replaced with green and red, pumpkins for snow flakes, candy corn for candy canes, and so on. with the holidays comes a long list of things we only seem to enjoy around this time of year. we have already begun enjoying some of our favorite things which i am going to try to do a better job of documenting this year. maybe you'll be inspired to document your favorite things too. i love sharing this kind of thing because it always leads to something new....
the movie "elf" has worked it's way into a tradition around this house, i liked it from the first time we saw it in the theater and it only gets funnier ever time i watch it.
it's such a hillarious, feel good kind of movie and the sound track is fantastic. over the thanksgiving holiday, i cooked a lot of food and was stuck in the kitchen for most of the day on wednesday preparing. fortunately the living room is attached to the kitchen and rich turned on elf to help get me in the holiday spirit. it worked! i brined, beat, whipped and stirred while singing along with darling buddy the elf. there are too many funny parts to name my favorite but i do love the "i'm singing, i'm singing, i'm in a store and i'm sing-ing" part. i'm sure by the time the season is over we'll have watched it at least fifty-two more times...alright, not that often, but it will probably feel like that much so it's just the same. this year i discovered candy cane oreo cookies just in time for the girlfriend retreat.
(yes this was our junk food stash)
(yes this was our junk food stash)we took one for the team and tested them out...you know, to make sure they aren't poisonous or anything. we give them two thumbs up! just the right blend of yummy oreo goodness with candy cane flavor that was suprisingly not too overpowering - yay! of course, you have to have a tall glass of milk, and if you're ethan, you eat only the insides.
apparently i have a candy cane theme here because next on my list is peppermint ice cream.
as you know, i'm very picky about my ice cream, none of the "vanilla in a tub" crap will do for me. my favorite brand for peppermint is schwan's, but since i don't like the after taste of the schwan's guy pushing frozen food at my door every other week - i settle for edy's instead. i've said before that ice cream is really love in the form of food. as much as this must say about me and how i deal with my own issues, it really is true. ice cream is love. and i would feel this way even if i were boney thin and had no issues. for real, i really would. no lying. ice cream is just that good.
as you know, i'm very picky about my ice cream, none of the "vanilla in a tub" crap will do for me. my favorite brand for peppermint is schwan's, but since i don't like the after taste of the schwan's guy pushing frozen food at my door every other week - i settle for edy's instead. i've said before that ice cream is really love in the form of food. as much as this must say about me and how i deal with my own issues, it really is true. ice cream is love. and i would feel this way even if i were boney thin and had no issues. for real, i really would. no lying. ice cream is just that good.so what are you enjoying so far this season? my list of favorites is looooong, so brace yourself for a second, third and maybe fourth installment of wende's holiday faves. and happy holidays ya'll!
7 comments:
We love Elf too...when ever anyone is mad at our house they usually get told "ooh your and angry little elf"
Micah also likes to answer the phone..."Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?" I can go on and on...LOVE IT!
I love Peppermint ice cream and you know I am not a huge ice cream eater but that is one of my favorites when I do eat it!!!
I love holiday movies.....I tired to watch Elf last night but Jake got bored and turned it off but I did get to see the Santa Clause one of my favs!
We love Elf too! We really do watch it year-round. My favorite quotes are "we elves try to stick to the four basic food groups....candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup!!" and the one where the Gimbles manager says "Why are you smiling?" and Buddy says "I like to smile...smiling's my favorite!" I have that as one of my flairs on facebook. I love this time of year! It makes me all warm inside!
I ate some peppermint ice cream this past weekend- love it! You KNOw I love those oreos- & I don't even like normal oreos!!
I'm going to do a post like this... great idea!
also... the first time I saw elf I thought it was the dumbest movie ever... NOw I totally get It and lOve it. It is a family favorite. I'm putting it on this week! after being down south in the sun the Christmas feeling is dying down. Trent asked me if it was summer???
Love the peppermint icecream! Awesome stuff...the best...especially at Christmas. I have not seen Elf in awhile we will have to break it out. I love the "favorites post".
Elf is one of our family's favorites, too! I saw "Fred Claus" this last weekend for the first time and found it funny and cute in a similar way.
Post a Comment